NUS says students' living conditions are “second class”
Sixteen per cent of students live in vermin infested houses, according to a survey by the National Union of Students (NUS). The findings, published as part of the NUS Housing and Health Survey 2001, showed that half of students live in houses which have damp and 40% reported mould growing in bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. Basic safety precautions were often neglected by landlords: 20% cent of students lived in houses without smoke detectors, and half of the students surveyed did not have locks fitted on their doors and windows.
Most worryingly, nearly half the students had never seen a gas safety certificate, a document which landlords are legally obliged to display. According to the government's Health and Safety Executive (HSE), at least 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the Britain each year, with students and the elderly being particularly at risk. “No matter how low the total seems